It’s our own fault really. Teaching bugs how to resist. Believe it or not, by having a go with disinfectants too often.
Too often, or too carelessly?
Which makes resisting disinfectants a bit of a doddle.
Especially when disinfectants come at them every day. Routine same-old, everybody’s used to it – plenty of slap-happy mistakes.
Not properly applied, so bits get missed. Not strong enough, so not all are killed. Not exposed for long enough, so even more escape. And always repetitive, so they know what’s coming.
More of the same, get ready. And not all of them are dead from last time.
Not dead, and not driven out – every time they get stronger. Better able to resist. More used to defending themselves.
Plus, if it gets too hard to resist, they get clever.
Like going up against bleach – the one substance bacteria has a problem with, because it oxidises them.
But not a problem if the bleach is too weak, or not left on for long enough.
Billions of years of being clever
A couple of capfuls in a bucket of water makes a solution that’s not nearly strong enough. And the usual wipe-on, wipe-off won’t leave it there nearly long enough – bleach takes 30 minutes exposure time to be sure of a kill.
Plus, bacteria can live with the smell, even if we humans can’t. The rest is just outlasting the stuff. Ensuring there are enough bacteria around to keep going.
Not a problem when you can regenerate yourself quickly. E. coli for instance – including its deadly O157 variant – can replicate itself every 20 minutes. If a batch get wiped out, they’re easily back at strength in just hours.
The other trick is to hide behind biofilms – hard-to-remove slime that protects bacteria from contact with the bleach.
Or to unfold a heat-shock protein, Hsp33, which binds and protects other proteins from harm, helping the bacteria to survive.
All of which means, if you’re going to disinfect something, do it properly.
Life’s a bleach – or not
Use bleach, slap it on thick and leave it there for 30 minutes or more. Not always that simple as bleach attacks metals, particularly stainless steel. Your nose will tell you it’s pretty corrosive to other substances too.
Otherwise, you’re teaching the bacteria to resist. Giving it an immunity to further disinfectants used against it in the future. AND teaching it antibiotic resistance as well.
Or there is an easier solution – which no bacteria can resist, no matter what. No viruses or fungi either.
Simply mist the place up with ionised hydrogen peroxide.
Electrostatically charged, the stuff reaches everywhere. Including the air, which never normally gets touched, even though it’s 80% of the average room space. And forced hard up against all those hard-to-reach places your sponge or cleaning cloth can’t get at.
Like bleach, the action is by oxidising. But exposure time is 30 seconds, not 30 minutes.
Because boosted by ionising into a plasma mist, hydrogen peroxide releases a slew of other other antimicrobials. Hydroxyl radicals, reactive oxygen species, reactive nitrogen species, ozone and ultraviolet.
Oxygen atoms reach out and grab at germs, ripping their cell structure apart.
40 minutes later, and it’s done and dusted. Disinfected AND sterilised.
The mist reverts to eco-friendly oxygen and water, which evaporates – and the whole place is germ-free. 99.9999% gone – no bacteria, no viruses, no fungi – to a 6-Log Sterility Assurance Level.
No slopping around on top of the necessary rubbing and scrubbing. No noxious fumes either.
Hard to resist?
Picture Copyright: kadmy / 123RF Stock Photo
Back Off, Bacteria! is the blog of Hyper Hygiene Ltd, supplier of what we’re convinced is the most effective health protection system in the world. A fully mobile, all-automatic Hypersteriliser machine mists up workplaces with ionised hydrogen peroxide, spreading everywhere and eliminating all bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Hypersteriliser units are supplied to businesses and institutions across the UK, notably the haematology and other critical units at Salford Royal Hospital, Greater Manchester; Doncaster & Bassetlaw Hospital; South Warwickshire Hospital; Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital; and Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead.
The Halo Hypersteriliser system achieves 6-log Sterility Assurance Level – 99.9999% of germs destroyed. It is the only EPA-registered dry mist fogging system – EPA No 84526-6. It is also EU Biocide Article 95 Compliant.
Originally posted on 24 May 2017 @ 2:00 pm
Originally posted on 24 May 2017 @ 2:00 pm