Mmmm, spring meadow.
Except, why are you using an air freshener? Is something “off” in your home?
Your nose knows
A pong you can’t get rid of maybe.
Mould, or damp, or a drifting stink from the loo.
All signs of germs at work. Viruses and bacteria in your home.
That’s how you know they’re there – and how you know they’re at work.
Blitz them with an air freshener and you’re only hiding them. Masking them, so you forget they’re there. Fooling your nose into thinking you’re safe.
Because that’s what you want to be, isn’t it? Safe from germs?
Which air fresheners won’t achieve for you – with very few exceptions.
Just an illusion
Because unless it specifically says on the label that the stuff kills germs, all it will do is smell up the place with a stronger alternative. Pine, lavender, or all kinds of fruit.
And you don’t want to know what goes into an air freshener to make it do that.
Not if it has to out-pong the fermenting or putrefying stench of bacteria at work.
Truth is, you’re not safe from germs at all – and possibly exposed to even bigger hazards.
A typical cocktail might include formaldehyde, a recognised carcinogen. Petroleum distillates such as butane and propane. Even phenol, a skin and nervous system irritant.
Investigate further and you’ll find ethanol, a nervous system depressant with psychoactive effects. Methylformamide, a known cause of system toxicity or cancer, which messes up reproductive organs. Or butanoic acid, for neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption and further organ breakdown.
Across the 225 million aerosols, plug-ins, gels, candles and incense sticks that we use every year, anything up to 3,000 synthetic chemical ingredients could be in play – all geared to out-bigging smells, not killing germs.
Which is what you’re left with when the stuff wears off.
The same germs are still there.
But you’re right to think of an air freshener. Something that gets at everything that surrounds us.
Bleach or other disinfectants only get at surfaces and floors.
Reality is that 80% of the space we live in is the untouched air surrounding them. And what about the walls and ceilings? The gaps behind and under furniture? Or the cracks in between where your scourer can’t reach?
Time to look at a Hypersteriliser.
To kill germs and make smells go, it’s the only thing.
And it’s so dead easy, all you do is press a button.
Effective hygiene asset
OK, it’s not like a bottle you pick up at the supermarket. It’s wheelie-bin sized investment in home hygiene. Offices too – schools, shops, restaurants, hotels. As essential to everyday living as a vacuum cleaner or a washing machine.
Shut all the windows and doors – and it generates a fine plasma mist of hydrogen peroxide, electrostatically charged to grab viruses and bacteria out of the air, oxidising them to oblivion.
ALL of them. The bad ones you’ve read about: salmonella, e. coli, H1N1 flu virus, clostridium difficile, norovirus, or MRSA. Even horror-killers, like Ebola.
You know it works, because the smells are gone. No more germs.
And it’s safe, because all that’s left decomposes to oxygen and water.
Too fine to affect electrical connections or computer keyboards – which evaporates to nothing before it touches anything.
Heady lavender and the suspicion that you could all catch flu anyway.
Or neutral nothing, no smells at all – knowing you’re safe and all germs are gone completely.
Originally posted 2015-09-03 13:15:07.