So what? Mould marks are everywhere. This is Britain, for heck’s sake – it rains.
Sure it rains. But not inside.
Mould and damp conditions are unhealthy as you can get. For your staff and your balance sheet.
A full house of trouble. Sick building syndrome, asthma, colds, flu, rheumatism, pneumonia. Outbreaks over and over again, accelerating as the mould gets worse.
The paying starts – and never stops
Staff off sick, productivity down the plughole, profits plunging – feelgood become feelbad.
And even worse once the council finds out. Health & Safety people all over you, building inspectors ripping up the walls, dragging days in court.
Then the fines.
How much could you be in for?
Could be a one-off £5K fine.
Or the whole deal. Sickness compensation, absentee costs, insurance claims, nasty.
And all on your watch.
Duty of care
Like we said yesterday with legionnaire’s disease, it’s your duty to protect staff against hazards.
And believe us, mould might look like nothing – but those ugly black marks can kill as effectively as any bullet.
All it needs is an underlying complication. Respiratory problems, a weak heart – if your staff member dies, it could even be manslaughter.
Or you could leave it be.
Do nothing and let exposure for healthy staff rack up. Until one day, they have an underlying complication of their own. Or maybe it’s you, lying on oxygen in ICU, wondering if you’ll ever get your life back.
Wet, wet, wet – moisture is the enemy
OK, so do something.
But before you rush off and call in the steam cleaners, remember mould thrives when it’s warm and wet.
So here’s a few no-go words to keep in mind.
Wet, vapour, humidity, condensation, moisture and steam equals mould, respiratory problems and legionella.
Sure, you might get the stuff off the walls. But the lasting moisture accelerates it coming back.
And not just mould, but other pathogens. Viruses, bacteria. Get the place wet, and you’re opening a restaurant for them.
Which means you’ve got to go dry.
Besides, who wants moisture dripping on cables in the IT suite? Or getting into documents, come to that. Crinkled paper, water marks, pages sticking together. Not so easy to look professional.
Wake the tiger
Only one thing for it.
Ionised hydrogen peroxide in an ultra-fine mist. A mild 6% solution that doesn’t need lots of water to help it disperse. So it sits, light and agile in the air, not really wet at all.
A sleeping tiger that wakens to pounce.
Ionising makes it aggressively disperse in all directions. Hard up against all surfaces, probing deep into inaccessible places, clawing through the air itself.
Which means germs don’t stand a chance, including mould. Ionised particles seize them like prey, ripping them to pieces by oxidising their cells.
Look again, and those ugly black marks have turned to grey. Nobody home any more. So with almost no effort, they brush easily away.
No smell either – the usual sign of pathogens at work. All stopped now, the place is sterile.
End of the feelbad.
All germs gone, now for the cause
The place is dry too. No moisture to encourage a comeback. The stuff evaporates to nothing.
At least, for now.
Because the mould might be gone, but not the cause.
That leaky roof or busted pipe needs fixing fast, or it will be back again.
And sure, you can keep hitting the place with hydrogen peroxide, your staff will always be safe.
But that won’t get the council off your back. Or the Health & Safety brigade.
Fix the problem, or they WILL hit you.
Like they did with these guys. Leaky pipe, occupational asthma, £12,000 compensation PLUS six months building work to make good.
Not worth the PT – and who wants that kind of black mark against them?