Disaster, isn’t it? You never had asthma before, now you’re permanently gasping for breath.
Your staff aren’t much better. Most of them off half the time. The rest struggling with headaches, colds, flu.
Or whatever else feels like a heart attack, just climbing the office step ladder.
That horrible mould problem again. Those black marks on the wall last winter? 20 times worse now with summer humidity – and everybody’s paying for it.
£5,000 fines – and worse
Including you, now Health & Safety have got to hear about it.
Toxic black mould – you’re in for it now. At least a £5K arbitrary fine – possibly more if any staff have a condition that’s got worse, COPD or the like.
Sure, you were busy – but staff well-being has to come first. That’s the law.
It’s also your duty of care. And even if the building landlord won’t play ball, YOU’RE the one who should report it to Health & Safety, or your local council’s environmental health department.
Forget that, and it’s a £5K fine or worse.
Like the £12K compensation paid out recently for a claim of occupational asthma after 5 MONTHS of ignoring the problem.
Fix it, or else
And it’s not going away until you fix it.
OK, so it’s probably structural. Damp in the walls or something. Landlord’s problem.
But it could equally be YOUR FAULT.
Not enough ventilation. Or the reverse – running air conditioners all the time and the things leak moisture.
Which puts you in a JAM situation – Just Add Money.
Weeks or months of builders thumping through the place while everyone’s trying to work. Or shelling out for temporary prem while they get the place sorted.
And the costs keep racking up.
Because you’re liable at all times for staff safety. And as long as you keep exposing them to hazardous germs, you could get the book thrown at you – specifically the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.
You keep LOSING money too – the downside of “germonomics”. Productivity goes through the floorboards – staff are listless, under-performing, a long way from the extra mile they always used to go for you.
But there IS a quick-fix.
It won’t solve the problem long term, but it will stop toxic black mould dead in its tracks – and any other harmful germs floating around too.
The 80% – 80% phenomenon
And we mean floating. Because in the enclosed environments we spend more than 80% of our time in, 80% of the space we move around in is air. Home to dust, pollution, tiny bits of human detritus –billions of viruses and bacteria – and billions of airborne mould spores.
Get rid of them – and you get rid of the mould problem, at least temporarily.
For 24 hours, definitely – maybe even up to a week.
But they won’t go for good until that leaky roof, busted pipe, missing damp course or unventilated cavity wall gets fixed.
All it takes is to mist the place up with ionised hydrogen peroxide after everyone’s gone home. In around 40 minutes for the average room, it permeates everywhere – including through the air – oxidising ALL germs to nothing.
You can tell it’s worked because that toxic mould is no longer black. It’s pale grey and lifeless, safe to brush off and sweep away. And there’s no smell either. Your staff are safe in sterile surroundings. To a 6-log Sterility Assurance Level.
And since you’re being proactive in looking after their safety, you might just stave off the £5K penalty. You’ve done your bit, so the liability is the landlord’s.
Now all you have to do is work on that asthma.
How about two weeks in the sun? The staff too – they’ll probably earn it with their mojo back.
Then you’ll all be ready to reach for the stars.
Picture Copyright: skdesign / 123RF Stock Photo